The Governing Board is a shared board for the Federation of two schools, Polden Bower and Avalon School.
The prime purpose of the Board of Governors is to provide non-executive leadership and operate at a strategic level, this ensures the Executive Headteacher and wider learnership team responsible for the day to day running of the schools.
The governors operate within the guidelines issued by the Department for Education: (a) The School Governance (Roles, Procedures and Allowances) Regulations and (b) The Governor Handbook. These two documents define clearly three core functions the board are responsible for:
- Setting strategic direction for the school
- Holding the Executive Headteacher and Heads of School to account for the educational performance of the school
- Ensuring financial health, probity and value for money
This is achieved by carrying out a range of activities each term and attending various events, which include:
- Holding formal Governors meetings to review the school's performance
- Learning walks with senior leaders
- Attend INSET and training events
- Attend celebration events, enrichment days and other opportunities to meet the students
- Attend school council and Junior Leadership Meetings
- Carry out Health and Safety inspections and audits
- Nominated Governors meet with relevant personnel in school to discuss, ask questions, challenge and support the work of the school
The Governors work closely as a team, they have diverse backgrounds and experiences coupled with a wide range of skills that enable them to make a positive contribution to the schools development.
David Purcell: (Chair of Governors) Safeguarding
David has been a Governor on the board for a number of years, he has a business management background and previously had a child at one of the schools. David is Chair of Governors but also takes the lead on Safeguarding within the Governing Board.
Gill Watton: (Vice-Chair of Governors) Finance & HR
Gill has an accountancy background and has a very good understanding of the schools financial and budget situation. Gill works closely with both Financial and HR staff in the school and checks the Single Central Record and Personnel procedures.
The Clerk to the Governors is Nicola Almond and to make contact with the Governing Board, please contact Nicola in the first instance Nicola.Almond@Poldenbower.org.uk.